Saturday, July 30, 2016

Mail art call celebrating 500 years of Royal Mail

stripygoose and Positively Postal hosted a mail art call 'Make the Most of the Post' to celebrate Royal Mail's amazing milestone.

The USPS planets and Pluto minisheet gave me inspiration to send all 10 stamps on three envelopes:





I stood in line to get them hand cancelled (to try and avoid ugly black lines all over the stamps) and the clerk asked me where the stamps were - seriously! Perhaps he had not seen any of the new stamps yet.

Update: here they are side by side, so the intended message is easier to read (click to enlarge).



8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, I had fun coming up with this idea. All thanks to a small conversation about chevrons with Eva!

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful idea, made real in an excellent way!
    Funny that the clerk didn't see/know them :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it was a really odd moment, where the postal customer knows more than the postal worker. Plus, I found out there is a post office open on Sundays not too far from me if I ever want a specific date for any reason. It is still close on public holidays, though, so no Sunday, December 25th postmark possible.

      Delete
  3. Love this -- and the chevrons too. The clerk didn't recognize the USPS stamps? Oh lordie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? It is possible that, since they had only just been released, that he hadn't seen them yet.

      Delete
  4. These are beautiful So glad they don't have ugly black lines on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, this is before mailing. However, these ones did arrive without the ugly black marks.

      Delete