Sunday, July 29, 2018

X is for Xed out

I really wish the post office wouldn't do this...




This is a domestic postcard-rate stamp (currently 35c), and has a link to this whole A-Z series in that it depicts a seashell called an alphabet cone, Latin name Conus spurious. The common name results from the fact that the markings often look like letters, and may seem to spell out short words. Take care when handling a live one: they have a modified tooth that functions as a poisonous harpoon!

The only time I thought an Xed out stamp worked, was on this zombie envelope (not for the squeamish).

To see more postage with an X theme, head over to the links at Sunday Stamps.

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I doubt anyone visiting for Sunday Stamps will disagree with you.

      Delete
  2. I detest this habit.
    The red marker is an unusual touch, however - I've only seen blue pen or black sharpie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen a few different colors, black and blue are most common, though.

      Delete
  3. I tend to ignore Xed out stamps. Such a shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate it when they do it to particularly beautiful stamps, or ones I'm never likely to receive again.

      Delete
  4. I detest those pen and marker scribbles on stamps, too... Only this time it had a positive function, great finding for the letter x!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, now if that was only the one time (or twice if you include the zombie envelope).

      Delete
  5. Love the stamp. This is the only time I've seen a mark like that. Looks better than a scribble I think which I hate. Someone posted two submarine stamps to me and I got a pink marker pen across the horizon, almost a sunset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they're all bad, but not much can be done about it.

      Delete
  6. I dread this kind of cancellation and what's even more appalling to me is that they are a legally accepted method. But at least it brought a unique X for today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are awful. And sadly legal - if you accidentally wrote on or marked the stamp in any way even before mailing it would be considered cancelled, although I don't think I have seen the post office enforce this.

      Delete