Sunday, January 16, 2022

Writers for Sunday Stamps

 The theme for today's Sunday stamps is writers and composers.

I have two writers to share.


Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862) was an American naturalist, writer, poet and philosopher. One of his most famous books is Walden, written during his time living at Walden Pond in Massachusetts.
The stamp was issued as a forever stamp in 2017, the two hundredth anniversary of the year of his birth.

Ursula K Le Guin (1929-2018) was an American writer best known for her science fiction works, although she was also an accomplished poet, essayist and author in other genres. The first book in her Wizard of Earthsea series, telling the story of Ged as he starts his journey with magic by attending a school for wizards, was published in 1968. 
Le Guin's novels The Left Hand of Darkness (1969) and The Dispossessed (1974) both won the Hugo and Nebula awards - the first woman to do so.
The stamp was issued as part of the literary arts series in 2021 at the three ounce rate (currently 98c).




9 comments:

  1. I love both stamps. From Thoureau's books, I've only read Walden. And a couple of Le Guin (thanks to you!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I am wondering which one's you've read - you may have told me, but my brain doesn't remember.

      Delete
    2. Why do you think I remember myself? ;)

      Delete
  2. Love Thoreau's wisdom but am always amused by the fact his mother did his all washing while he was living on Walden Pond.
    Two nice stamps especially the Le Guin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised she was honored with a stamp so soon after her death. Really pleased she was, as she is my favorite author.

      Delete
  3. The Le Guin stamp is lovely (and I have read several of her books, not sure why I haven't read them all)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was a prolific writer - there are a lot of novels and short stories.

      Delete
  4. Both authors I didn't yet know, so thank you for sharing and for the information!
    Maybe on other websites the stamps are shown more clearly, but I must say I love the way you displayed the stamps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heleen. Le Guin wrote many short stories as well as novels. Her non-science fiction is just as good. Unlocking the Air is a wonderful collection, as is Orsinian Tales, largely set in a fictional eastern European country.

      Delete