Sunday, October 14, 2018

I is for Italy

This stamp arrived on a postcard sent by Eva. It shows the Piazza Ruggierio Settimo in Palermo.

This view shows the Teatro Politeama, with the statue of Ruggero Settimo (1778-1863) in the froeground. Settimo was a Sicilian naval officer, and fought in the Naploeonic wars. Later he was an important figure in the Sicilian revolution of 1848, and served as head of the independent Sicilian state until Ferdinand II put down the rebellion in 1849. He escaped to Malta, living in exile for twelve years. Ultimately he became head of the senate in the new parliament of the Kingdom of Italy following Italian reunification in 1860-1861. He held this position until his death.




For more interesting I posts, head over to the links at Sunday Stamps.

10 comments:

  1. A marvellously ornate building. Settimo it would seem was lucky to live so long after that adventurous life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like a wonderful place to attend the theatre.

      Delete
  2. Always fascinating to see ornate buildings and statue of famous historical figures nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. That's interesting! I have never visited Italy, so I don't really have a clue about the architecture, other than Venice.

      Delete
  4. Italy does some grand theatres and piazzas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I had totally forgotten this stamp. I sent to to several people, because they hadn't different stamps at that little post office... but I had never looked for the details!

    It belongs to a beautiful series of architecture, I think.

    ReplyDelete