Saturday, February 14, 2015

St Valentine's day




St Valentine's day is the Sunday Stamps theme (I'm about 6 hours early, although blogger seems to use pacific time, so make that 9 hours early on the timestamp). 

The US has been issuing stamps with the theme love for many years.

Forever love (2015). Video story of the designer's view on forever love (4 minutes). I have these stamps, just haven't used them yet. I prefer the white version - with the small 'forever' and '2014' in silver (scans as grey). I still think it's a bit odd that the heart says forever and there is also forever written below.



Here are some I sent and received.

Cut paper heart (2014). The one from Olathe has a unique digital color St Valentine's day postmark. The story behind the design is here.














Sealed with love (2013)






The 2012 stamp is Love ribbons. Out of print, a sheet of 20 stamps now sells for over three times the current first class price.



This 20c Love stamp is from 1984. Sadly many of the vintage stamps don't always stand up to the modern sorting machines, so this example is a little torn.



Of all the love stamps, I think this one is my favorite set, Garden of Love from 2011, even though I have never received any. A very clever design, with a lot of variety in the set.


Just noticed that USPS Stamps has a feature on Valentine's day mail artists.

__________________________

I'm not sure how long La Poste has been doing this, but they have a series of Valentine heart-shaped stamps designed by famous design houses (like Chanel, Hermes etc).

Many of the designs can be seen here. It's an interesting concept to have commercial enterprises design stamps (and have their names on them - great advertising) - I can't see this happening in the US.

The 2015 set is designed by Jean-Charles de Castelbajac.




_____________________________

Rubber stamped hearts from Katerina N, all the way from Greece. A big chunk of background on the Greek 'European Youth Capital Thessaloniki 2014' stamp is pink, does that count?






Enjoy the rest of Valentine's Day, everyone.
_______________________

Last minute update: Eva blogged about Dr Turing's Love Letter Generator. If you've been at a loss for the perfect way to express your feelings, then this is for you - it's not too late!

The one I had Dr Turing's machine send to myself:

"My Dear You,

To me, you are more unfaltering than one million cherries, even more absorbing than the most beautiful summer breeze. Your lips are the most perfect. Your honesty is incandescent and your hand lazily appreciates my brilliance. You are a party, my only happiness, I desire only to bring and cuddle you for all eternity. Mysteriously accept my cheek, I beg of you! Your laugh consumes my compassion and all other cheeks pet in vain. You make each dreamy surprise allow like wit. Even the most impressive bliss could not entangle my eyelash so!

With all my love,

Me"

That last line had me in stitches. Not to mention the image of petting a lot of cheeks in vain before finding the right one.

17 comments:

  1. I have to say both the "Garden of Love" and "Sealed With Love" stamps are among my favorites and often used (although my garden is quickly running out of flowers :) )! I wasn't too fond of this year's "Forever Love" either, but got one on an envelope today and thought it looked really good with the red addressing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A sheet of mint Garden of Love stamps sells for about 3 times retail price on ebay - they would have been a great investment!

      Delete
    2. It sure would have, too bad I didn't buy a few more! I used that as my main stamp for a couple years after they stopped doing the "Nature of America" series.

      Delete
  2. Good selection of yours! I have received some of them (even two from the set "Garden of Love"!). Some combinations stamp/envelope are wonderful.
    I haven't realised the two "forever". I think your're right.

    And about the letter... you have a very odd way to love yourself! ;·)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the letter addressed from me to me reads even more strangely!!

      Delete
  3. There is no way I could match a post like this - great selection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Funny thing is, I am really not a fan of valentine's day.

      Delete
  4. I liked the garden of love stamps too. My blog features the most recent USPS stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post for today. I am not a huge fan of Valentine's day either. You were on my list for the envelope exchange over at pushing the envelopes blog. it is in the mail out there somewhere, probably in the back of a mail truck trying to dig out of the snow. hope it arrives eventually

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I'm sure it will arrive eventually. I didn't have you on my list, but I have sent reply for the second stolen page that came last week. I am sure a lot of mail has been delayed by the crazy storms you have been having.

      Delete
  6. I'm also not a fan of Valentine's Day, but you have outdone yourself. I have the butterfly one from that 2011 series (didn't know there were others!) I like the 1984 version.

    And the French stamps they produce each Valentines are lovely. So supportive of their own design houses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Regardless of the year, the love stamps are very popular, as are the wedding ones. Definitely a lot of variety in US stamps for special occasions.

      A pretty good idea to source stamp design to design houses - that's their business after all. The French designs over the years have been fascinating.

      Delete
  7. I always love hearing about stamp designers so the video story was a treat, I'm also a fan of lettering so love the stamp. I imagine there is some postal law about having the 'value' of a stamp printed on it. Such an interesting selection of stamps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad the link was something you were interested in. I'm sure you're right about the stamp. I just received 2 white ones today - They look great.

      Delete