Sunday, February 14, 2016

Sunday Stamps - Red

Interesting topic for today's Sunday Stamps. I'm going to try and steer away from hearts and ribbons :)

I was recently sent a vintage postcard with this pre-stamped Red Barn postage.



Of course to be brought up to the 35 postcard rate, two definitive stamps were added. The 3c definitive is red... well maroon maybe.


And the new 10c definitive issued Jan 17 is red... in the form of pears.


One of my favorite red stamps (well, there is a tiny bit of blue and quite a bit of gold, but it's mostly red) is the Lunar New Year stamp from 2008, the first in the current series of twelve being illustrated by Kam Mak celebrating the clever rat.

On the topic of Lunar New Year, the Year of the Monkey stamp has red peonies on them, and the USPS stamp page covering the stamp has a lot of red.

Happy St Valentine's day.

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! After last year's valentine love fest, I thought I'd try something different this year.

      Delete
  2. well done! no hearts and yet sticking to red! out of the cliche :))))
    I love that new pears' issue i must say! So simple but so nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Turns out it wasn't so hard to avoid hearts after all.

      Delete
  3. Living in pear country, I ought to have seen the pear stamp by now. Must go stamp hunting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are only issued in large coils, so I am doubtful I'll ever see them on mail.

      Delete
  4. I really like how the USPS has less obvious lunar new year stamps, featuring the rituals with the animal as almost an afterthought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like this aspect, too, and I really like Kam Mak's series. I know a lot of people have complained that they want the animals to be more prominently featured, but I'm not one of them.

      Delete
  5. I always know I'm in the USA when I start seeing red barns like yours. Great red choices and the lunar new year is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am particularly fond of the Lunar New Year series.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful collection!
    Those pears are cute.
    And the Year of the Monkey stamp is great! Usually I don't really like flowers on stamps, and I must confess that as a child I was afraid of monkeys and still am not that fond of them. So my heart wouldn't beat faster when hearing of a 'monkey and flower stamp', but now that I see 'm... The way this stamp has been designed makes it one of my favourite red stamps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like this stamp, but it can not compete with last year's Year of the Ram for me, which is a bit disappointing as I am a Monkey.

      Delete