Saturday, April 15, 2017

Mail Me Some Art

Mail Me Some Art (MMSA) is a group that swaps (mostly) postcard art. All submissions are sent to a central host along with postage and address labels, and she (or he) then swaps the cards and sends them out. This resolves the issues that sometimes occur in direct swaps when somebody doesn't hold up their end of the bargain for whatever reason.

The other great part about MMSA, is that all levels and kinds of art are welcomed and appreciated.

Each challenge set has a theme. Here are two I participated in recently. I send in 4 cards for the swap, and as a thank you to the host, a 5th bonus one for them.

1. Repetition and variation

Here are the cards I sent out - I was inspired by Naomi's triangles (which I learned about from Eva). I painted them using inktense pencils, I think hers turned out better than mine, although they did look a lot brighter in person compared to the scans.





And here are the ones I received from Esther, Lois & Iryna.




2. Paper strips

This is one of my favorite challenges to date. The top 4 (Face Off I-IV) went into the exchange, the 5th one (The Twins) was for the host, Honi.










And here are the interesting cards that arrived in my mailbox from Barb, Cheryl, Penny & Wanda.




If you've been paying attention to how MMSA works, you'll have noticed that I only received 3 back for the repetition & variation challenge. The fourth one had a misadventure, and will be featured under another letter of the alphabet.

Have you ever participated in a swap of any kind? How did it work out? Did you have fun?

18 comments:

  1. I've never participated in MMSA, but I enjoy looking at the blog (and what Eric and you post). That inspires me a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The challenges are really good at getting you to do things that you wouldn't think of doing, or wouldn't think you could do -then finding out they are not as hard as you thought.

      Delete
  2. so happy to hear you have inktence pencils - they are fabulous - and on the list of things i can't allow myself to have because then i would not get anything done...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are great, and a lot more versatile than I first thought.

      Delete
  3. MMSA is really a great place for swap. Karen and then Honi are doing a great job as the main hosts. I haven t swapped on MMSA since ages... This is a pity. I sometimes feel that one life is not enough to do what I want to do...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stopped doing it for a while, now I am taking part again on a semi-regular basis. And don't forget, MMSA is how we first crossed paths.

      Delete
  4. The paper strip of the face is great. Your triangles made me regret a recent turnout of coloured pens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I should do more of the faces, I think, I like how they turned out.

      Well, the thing about pens is that they seem to accumulate on their own somehow.

      Delete
  5. Fabulous mail art!
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heleen, now I will definitely make some more faces.

      Delete
  6. Those are really interesting. I have often thought of participating in swaps, but have yet to do it. I remember long ago doing a strip collage of two different faces.

    Finding Eliza

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Phillip -it is certainly a creative occupation ... and fun to see your results - and good to know you and others enjoy it .. cheers and have a happy Easter ... Hilary

    http://positiveletters.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/m-is-for-melton-mowbray-market-national.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to have a little creative outlet.

      Happy Easter to you, too.

      Delete
  8. This MMSA sounds so cool. I gotta check more out!

    Meantime, Happy Easter to you and yours. Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed your paper strips art, both sent and received.

    ReplyDelete