Sunday, April 2, 2017

Sunday Stamps - stained glass chickens!

The theme for today's Sunday Stamps is something humorous or fun.

At first I didn't think I had anything to show, then just two days ago this envelope came from Eva. It seems very professional, however I think Eva made it by hand. Despite the fruits shown, the bright colors made me think of spring.



Here is the stamp, issued last year by Correos as part of their series on Spanish traditions and customs. I think it is both humorous and odd. How could you not smile at seeing a rooster and hen in a stained glass window? And an odd tradition/custom (although as I am reminded often, since Brits have Morris dancing, maybe I shouldn't find the customs of others odd!). And perfect for, even though not related to, the Lunar New Year of the Rooster.

The 5c definitive goes with the envelope perfectly.



Eva even added the explanation sheet - thank you! I love the fact that there is still a henhouse at the Cathedral to this day. You can click Eva's enclosure for a larger view, or if you prefer to see it on Correos' website here's the link. Thanks, Eva!








For more humor and oddities on stamps, check out all the links here.




14 comments:

  1. This is going to be one of my favourite stamps. I like the design and... yes, a bit odd.

    Here you have the link to the story, in case you want to add to the post: http://www.correos.es/ss/Satellite/site/coleccion-1363192976705-galeria_sellos_filatelia/detalle_emision-sidioma=en_GB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the bonus link.

      Odd in a positive sense - how could this not make someone smile when they visit the cathedral, or when they see it on a letter!

      Delete
    2. Yes, of course. It is a surprise even if you knew the saying!

      I made the envelope out of a page of a magazine. I choose pears because of the colours of the 0,05€ stamp! :D

      Delete
    3. And did you make the envelope?

      Delete
    4. Yes, I used a template. I am glad that you wrote it looks professional!

      Delete
    5. Yes, very. I also enjoyed that you wrote in green as well.

      Delete
    6. Please tell the Ohio weather. It was spring for about 5 seconds last week. Now the heating is back on!

      Delete
  2. Well done Eva and Phillip too. Hens in a stained glass window are not all that weird. We have shorthorn cattle in our local church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fantastic, Bob. Is there a picture on your blog somewhere?

      Delete
  3. blessed are the birds that cannot fly ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing the story about the stamp. I enjoyed reading it! Sorry for the late visit. As they say, better late than never and I totally don't want to miss out on each beautiful stamp shared each weekend on Sunday Stamps like this one :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blog is always here for visits any time. Glad you didn't miss out on this fab stamp. I forgot to say above that I really appreciate the abstract egg-like shapes in the stained glass.

      Delete