Friday, April 7, 2017

Found Poetry (and Fauxhio)

Found poetry is exactly that - finding poetry in words that were not originally intended to be poems.

There are several definitions, including the most restrictive, which is to find poetry without removing any text. A good example might be William Shatner reading Sarah Palin's tweets.



I prefer finding poems by deleting text. I have a blog devoted to a project where I have people send back poetry found in the pages of Treasures of Morrow, a young adult novel by H. M. Hoover.

Here are some found poems I have been sending out occasionally with my mail art. They all come from a desktop page-a-day calendar.









Have you created any found poems before?
____________________

F is also for Fauxhio is the fictional place where the artistamps (also known as faux postage or cinderella stamps) I print are issued.

I use the first two stamps quite a bit, usually on envelopes, occasionally on mail art itself. The second two are ones I ordered that are impossible (small brown) or finicky (purple) to use. 






Occasionally, I'll create a special first day of issue postmark. I adapted an old scifi TV channel logo. And sorry about the cut off scan - back from my days of ineptitude with the scanner.





And here's one where I didn't have such good control of the postmark stamper.



Where would you want to post your own stamps from? A real place? Somewhere fictional?

18 comments:

  1. I had never found poetry until I participate in your Morrow project. It was easy to find the poem, but then, difficult to hide the useless words.

    And about fictional places to send mail from, I'm thinking of Adanaland...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes, the Adanaland stamps are beautiful, aren't they.

      Delete
  2. I always enjoy receiving found poetry, it detaches my consciousness from the mundane for a while and often inspires a session of my own! Cheers, Carroll

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was teaching, I had my students use cereal boxes etc for their found poems. Some turned out quite well. If I were still working, I would definitely try your way. Find me here,LINK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the fact that an ordinary everyday object can become poetry. There's also a sub-genre of mail art focused on cereal packaging.

      Delete
  4. I have not tried any found poems but I keep hearing about them and think I should give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a lot of fun... and a little bit addictive. You should give it a try!

      Delete
  5. Yes, I've dabbled in found poetry. It's fun, but also sometimes restrictive. I love your stamps and never thought about sending mail from a fictional place - that's awesome!
    JEN Garrett| F is for Friends

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's nice to have a fictional place to think about - particularly in light of current world events.

      Delete
  6. My daughter grabbed six books from our bookshelf and wrote down a sentence from each from a random page. The resulting poem was bizarre and hilarious at the same time.

    F is for Fascist Takeover of the US

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome! You've got a poet on your hands...

      Delete
  7. I confess I've never heard of found poetry. I love the way you created the out of calendar posts.

    @Raesquiggles - Fountain's Abbey
    The Quiet Writer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - it is an interesting task given the small number of words available, and the fact that they're all mini book reviews, so there is quite a bit of repetition.

      Delete
  8. Hi - I've not tried any sort of poetry .. but perhaps this I could do - perhaps I need to follow Sarah Palin and her tweets - or maybe the Alask tundra has swallowed her ... but no - I think I'll stick with Fauxiho and artistamps ... cheers Hilary

    http://positiveletters.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/g-is-for-goose-gobbling-or-otherwise.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the stamps from fictional places and have toyed a round a little with designing ephemera from various fantasy worlds. Your postmarks are great! But with poetry... I prefer to come up with my own words!
    A-Z of Printmakers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm a bit too lazy to come up with my own words...

      Delete