Sunday, February 2, 2020

Postcards from the Vatican and its suburbs, part 2,

This card came from Eva some time ago.


One of the stamps she used was this one celebrating International Year of the Periodic Table of Elements. The United Nations chose 2019 to commemorate the 150th anniversary of Russian chemist Dmitri Ivanovich Mendeleev's first organization of the elements known at the time into a table in 1869. The highlighted elements Vanadium, Tungsten and Platinum were discovered by Spaniards.



For more stamps on the topic of science, explore the links at Sunday Stamps.

8 comments:

  1. That postcard is a favourite place. I'm glad it reached you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the mosaic, as I'm sure you would know.

      Delete
  2. these make me think of scrabble tiles - but with a lesson on each one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, they do look like scrabble tiles.

      Delete
  3. I wonder whether there are more elements on other stamps in this series - the Periodic Table takes me back a bit and there are many new elements since i studied it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember seeing a photo of Mendeleev's periodic table painted on a building wall in his Siberian home town, next best thing to that is seeing it on a stamp. I like the idea behind the Spanish stamp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An enduring creation. Always interesting to see different iterations of the table as new elements are discovered or potential redesigns.

      Delete