Monday, June 17, 2024

The Tempest

 Sunday Stamps on Monday...

This week's theme is Fatherly Figures. I chose a stamp from Royal Mail that features a line from the Shakespeare play The Tempest, thought to be one of the last he penned. This stamp was part of a set issued in 2016 to mark the 400th anniversary of the Bard's death.


The main character is Prospero, a father. And Shakespeare was a father himself, and can be considered a father of English writing.

For more links to stamps with this theme, head over to See it on a Postcard.

14 comments:

  1. I like your take on the theme. Clever!
    This series of stamps received some criticism, but I like them. As any other Shakespeare stamp, by the way ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this set - simple, striking, the different fonts used, and the clever nod to how English used to be typeset in the way the 'st' in 1st is designed.

      Delete
  2. One of my favourites of Shakespeare's plays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I've ever seen a producing of the Tempest, despite having seen quite a few plays over the years.

      Delete
  3. I liked that set. I saw a outdoor promenade production of The Tempest many years ago and the 'storm' was sprayed over us with the usual sound effects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds fun, as long as nobody got too wet

      Delete
  4. Fabulous stamps and I like how you tied in the Father's Day theme to your blogpost.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely love the choice - a double dose of "fatherly" connection in one stamp. And the design perfectly complements the quote - simple and elegant, letting the words shine. And that ligature on "1st"? Such a stylish touch!


    ReplyDelete