Monday, July 13, 2015

This is just a test - and a misadventure!



Do you have a favorite post office or post box from where you like to send mail?

Or perhaps you have a 'suspect' mail box, from where you feel like mail is delayed or lost on a frequent basis.

I noticed that one of my envelopes to Jean managed to gain a very handsome post mark which, in my opinion, enhanced the envelope. 





I think this is much nicer than the modern spray-on version (I'm guessing this type of postmark must be faster through the automated mail sorter).


It got me thinking - why would that one get that post mark? I send my mail either from inside the main post office (particularly if it is raining), or at the main post office's drive-through mail drops. Very, very occasionally I will send mail from work. Perhaps I sent Jean's envelope from work?

I decided to conduct a test.

Three stamped envelopes, all addressed to myself. 



The only difference - small letter codes I added on the back.



i for inside the main PO, o for outside the main PO, and w for work. The collection times are 9:00am for the PO, and 8:20 am for work.

Update 24 June: so far it has been 3 weeks and none of these made it to me. Maybe they are stuck at the sorting center...

Update today: still not delivered. Really weird. I'll have to try again.


8 comments:

  1. Obviously, the envelopes you sent to yourself were too boring to be delivered by your carrier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried my best to make the envelopes as sorting machine friendly as I could...

      Delete
  2. Interesting, like all the yellow rubber ducks that fell off a boat and never came to shore at a beach near me like they were supposed to. I still wonder where there went...maybe your envies decided another address was more suitable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were mailed around the same time as the package was delayed that I blogged in an earlier post, so I had hoped they would have a similar delay. I'll report back if they ever do show up.

      Delete
  3. I feel really curious about your experiment!

    ReplyDelete