Sunday, December 17, 2023

Decemberzegels and more

 Every year the Dutch post office issues a set of stamps in December for holiday mail, the much anticipated Decemberzegels (December stamps).

Heleen is kind enough to send me some of them - here are stamps from 2022. I like the color palette used, and the decorative lettering is fun - the first time words have appeared on a December stamps issue.








The designer is Miriam Bos, and she has not one but two blog posts about the design process and stories behind the stamps. I really enjoyed seeing some of the early sketches of designs that didn't make the final set.

Fabienne sent me a card last Christmas with these fun stamps. Having a hard time deciding how to describe them - modern, semi-abstract? I'm always a fan of se-tenant stamps that can be used separately, then create a bigger picture when used together. The moons and stars hanging like ornaments in the sky on the top stamp are fantastic.


For more Christmas stamps go to https://seeitonapostcard.blogspot.com


10 comments:

  1. This is an excellent idea and I always enjoy the designs. You are fortunate to actually have some in hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I consider myself very fortunate to have Heleen as a mail friend. It has become her tradition to send me the Decemberzegels, and I love the tradition.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful stamps. I really like the French ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How we coincided so much today? :)
    The French one is new to me. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did coincide, and now you're going to wake up to my senior moment!!!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the fascinating Miriam Bos link, they are a super set, I especially like the lettering. Those French stamps are fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love hearing the stories behind sets like this, glad you enjoyed the links.

      Delete