Sunday, January 20, 2019

V is for Vatican City

Last year I was at the Vatican and sent a few postcards from there. I was highly amused by the instructions on how to send a postcard.



There are actually multiple offices. One inside the museum, and two in St Peters Square. One in the square is in a mobile trailer.





A few minutes after leaving the square I stopped and bought a postcard for a friend and the shop also sold stamps. Even though I was now back in Italy, I was given a Vatican City stamp, and I asked if it needed to go in a Vatican post box. The seller said no, just post it anywhere. I decided to walk back to St Peters Square rather than risk Italian post, because when Eva was there her postcards took a month to arrive at their destinations.

This stamp celebrates the 15th General Ordinary Assembly of the Synod of Bishops. It is a lovely colorful stamp.



The Vatican mail box outside the other post office in the square.



For more V-themed postage, head over to Sunday Stamps.

8 comments:

  1. That is funny - and sad - to see instructions on how to send a postcard!
    I was a little disappointed that my stamps were not cancelled. I should ask my friend where he mailed it from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The instructions surprised me. The only mail I ever received from the Vatican had a really nice cancel. I have no idea whether the stamps on my postcards were cancelled or not.

      Delete
  2. Fortunately, you didn't follow the seller advice, because probably the postcards would never arrive! Sometimes I think they say whatever. When in Italy, I had to refuse stamps that are not from the official postal system (and were even more expensive). That has happened to me in touristy places of Spain, lately.

    This stamp is pretty cool. The pictures bring me happy memories :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I did, too. I was wondering about that, however, as I am sure it happens to tourists all the time - surely they don't just get put in a non-deliverable pile? I am sure the delay will be significant if they do make it. I also avoided the private mail companies - more expensive and apparently they often do not arrive.

      Delete
  3. Oh I like the multiple post office opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one inside the museum is where I sent the majority of my postcards from. It was a lot busier than the one in the trailer.

      Delete
  4. I became so interested in your photos that I nearly forgot the fine stamp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad they held your attention, as they did mine when I was taking them.

      Delete