Sunday, January 21, 2024

José de Sousa Saramago

 The theme for today's Sunday Stamps is writers, and fortuitously a letter from Eva arrived yesterday with a stamp celebrating the centenary of the birth of José de Sousa Saramago (1923-2010), who won the Nobel prize for literature in 1998.



José Saramago was a Portugese writer who left Portugal in 1992 after the government ordered one of his works, The Gospel According to Jesus Christ, be removed from being considered for the Aristeion Prize.

He then lived in exile in Lanzeroti (The Canary Islands, Spain) until his death.

You can read more about the stamp from Correos here. A link to his English wikipedia page is here.

Have you read any of his work? If so, do you have a recommendation for which one to start with?


For more links to stamps on writers, visit SeeItOnAPostcard.

9 comments:

  1. I am glad you like this stamp.
    I've read several of Saramago's works (I owe to him a big part of my Portuguese learning!). Maybe my favourite are probably Ensaio sobre a Cegueira ('Blindness') and Ensaio sobre a Lucidez ('Seeing'). But I am not sure about which book I would recommend to start with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great stamp - and also quite a large one, which is a bonus. Thanks for sharing your favorite Saramago works.

      Delete
  2. Having just looked up some of his many writings, they all sound intriguing. They might be a bit heavy going, but I am willing to seek some out. It will probably be a random sampling, depending on what is available at the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to try and remember to report back if I do read any of his works. I am sure I'll need time and space. to focus on his words, as I can't imagine it will be a casual read.

      Delete
  3. I am sorry to say I have not heard of this writer! Great Stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stamp, and story too. I've never read any of his works...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sadly unknown to me. The Librarything.com readers seem to have given Blindness the highest ratings but one did say they were ready for it to end. I always admire those readers whose project is to read all the Nobel Prize winners.

    ReplyDelete