Thursday, February 19, 2015

It's the Year of the Ram! or Sheep! or Goat!






I hope it isn't cheating to have my Sunday Stamps entry a few days early, on the first day of the year of the ram (or sheep, or goat).

Baby mountain goat stamp from Canada, from a series of baby animals. $1.20 is the rate to send mail from Canada to the US. 


The envelope is the real story - this is the most amazing mail I have received in 2015, and one of the all time best.


The envelope has travelled on part of its journey by dog sled - through three towns, each with a postmark on the front. 



Thanks so much, Adrienne.

____________________________


I sent this tangram goat to Karen I, host of MMSA, for the first challenge of 2015.



Karen's was stamped with the Wyoming 'Flags of our Nation' stamp, featuring bighorn sheep (and a bison on the flag).


The ones for the swap were additionally stamped with the brand new Year of the Ram stamp, as after I mailed Karen's I realized the 'postcards' exceed the letter size, and thus need large envelope postage (98c, or two Forever stamps). 






I think the Year of the Ram stamps look fantastic in person, however they never scan quite right. Even the USPS image isn't quite the same - the gold parts never look as good as the real thing. 



I used one on envelope 489 to Pamela in San Francisco, where they always hold the first day of issue ceremony for this series...





...and I used them on my envelopes for Jean & Jan's February envelope exchange. The suggested theme was hearts, red, and St Valentine's Day, or personal choice. I am not really one for St Valentine's day, so I sent out Year of the Ram greetings, accompanied with the new stamp.

Don't be shocked, regular readers, but for a change I used commercial stationery and Jean's wrought iron lettering. I think they make a nice set. The one with 3 stamps is heading to the Czech Republic - hope it makes it!


__________________________

I also have this mint Shaun the Sheep stamp from the UK. He'd be perfect for mail sent in the Year of the Ram.


And on the topic of British stamps... Royal Mail released this fantastic set of eight stamps today, celebrating Inventive Britain. A pity you can't use another country's stamps on US mail, as they would work with many of my envelopes.

18 comments:

  1. Oh, all your post is stunning!
    I love the USPS stamp, it's bright and original. Well, they didn't put just a goat... However, I have read some negative opinions. I guess there are always people who find reasons to complain...

    The blue envelopes are beautiful. You did a good calligraphy work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of the criticism is that the animal isn't prominently featured. I really like this series, and they show a lot of different aspects of the celebration itself that I wouldn't have known about/thought to read about.

      This stamp is probably my favorite of the set so far. And I was lucky to find envelopes that went well with the stamps.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the cool envelope and stamp and the postcards inside! Great mail to get. Yes, SF usually (always?) has the first day cancellation for the Lunar New Year stamps -- lucky us! Now I will send you some good mail back, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it made it. Last year I sent you mail that I think may have gone astray. I blogged about it here. 

      http://envelope100.blogspot.com/2014/11/envelope-411-food-chain.html?m=0

      Delete
  3. A beautiful collection!
    And thank you for sharing some Lunar New Year's stamps with me, too! I posted them today.

    Shaun the Sheep indeed belongs here today, too, love to see 'm, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you liked the stamps - I had no idea you would use them today, or that you were such a dragon fan. I'm a sucker for good animation, Shaun is the ram for the year, for me.

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness. Imagine getting mail that travelled by dog sled. How awesome! I love the dogs on the envelope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The envelope was completely unexpected - I had no idea such a thing even existed - definitely an exciting piece of mail to receive.

      Delete
  5. The Gold Rush envelope is superb, I never knew the race finished at the Post Office, how perfect is that for the postal enthusiast. I can see why you were hot foot to the post office to stock up on the New Year stamp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything about the Gold Rush envelope is brilliant.

      I usually order my stamps on line. Easier than standing in line and possibly not getting what you want. I am lucky enough to be close to a main post office, so if they are slow they are usually pretty helpful.

      Delete
  6. You have quite a selection,but my favorite is Shawn,The Sheep. He is so cute and my son and I always watched that show. :)

    Willa @ Postage Journal
    Sunday Stamp#93: Lunar Year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought the children's TV set because there were so many from my childhood. I am way too old for Bob the Builder, Peppa the Pig and Shaun, so he was an added bonus - and the Sunday Stamps theme this week gave me the perfect excuse to show him off.

      Delete
  7. Fantastic envelope and an even greater Wyoming stamp. We can't get our hands on the GB stamps you show at the end at post offices - I was told they don't use them for posting! Guess you just have to order them on line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really interesting, and a little bit sad that you can't just buy the special stamps at post offices. I buy almost all of my stamps on line here, a lot easier than waiting in sometimes long lines at the main PO. I did, in fact, obtain Shaun & Co through an on line purchase even though I can't use them for real postage. I have put a couple form that set on mail as an added bonus in addition to the correct US stamps.

      Delete
  8. Oh, be still my heart - you have a Shaun the Sheep stamp!!
    And I rather like that the US stamp shows something other than just the animal. I look forward to receiving one on a postcard.
    And I did come away with some great finds at the postcard show :). Enough to keep me in Postcrossing for years....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is pretty cool!

      You'll like the US stamp even more when you receive one - the blues look even better in person.

      Delete
  9. Glad that sled dog envelope arrived safe and sound. I thought you might like it. I learned about it when I was travelling in the area last summer and met an artist who had designed one of the prior envelopes. I kind of wish they'd used a nicer postage stamp though, but the cancellations and mode of travel are hard to beat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A brilliant piece of mail, thank you once again. I like the baby goat, and he was perfect for the blog. Sounds like they have different envelope designs each year? That's pretty cool. You're right - the mode of transport and the cancellations are unbeatable.

      Delete