Sunday, April 26, 2015

Two from Eva




Eva is the person who got me hooked on Sunday Stamps, so I thought I would post these today in lieu of stamps with today's them of dinosaurs/large animals. The link to Eva's mail blog is in the side bar.

These two homemade envelopes arrived on the same day.

The first one features a mystery face, and Eva's note on an interestingly shaped letter.



The clues lead to Hopscotch, a novel by Julio Cortázar. I haven't read the novel, but now I want to. It was published in Spanish in 1963, with the first English version in 1966. Four and a half stars on Amazon - this one might be better to have in paperback rather than on the kindle, due to its structure, where you can skip through the chapters in a certain order, or, or course, read it from start to finish.

The second features a poster from an exhibition about the architecture in Eva's home town in Morocco. 



Great to see these two land on the doormat, thank you.


__________________________

Bonus blog post over at the Virtual Stamp Club covering Royal Mail issuing a commemorative sheet of stamps celebrating Anthony Trollope's 200th birth day. He worked at the post office and is responsible for introducing free-standing post boxes, called pillar boxes in the UK. Royal Mail has a special online feature with 65 images of post boxes over the years. 

6 comments:

  1. I have heard about this book, but had forgotten about it (and the title). Now, I want to seek it out and finally get around to reading it - sounds like it might be a good summer book to haul around to the park and patios.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting concept for a book, not heard of now I'm intrigued. Time to hot foot it over to see the postboxes now (I like taking pictures of them in their natural environment)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard enough to write a good book in one direction, let alone one that can be read in any order.

      The post boxes are great, really interesting to see how they have evolved over time.

      Delete
  3. It's nice to see the envelopes here again! (I have scheduled a post with them!).

    I must say that "Rayuela" isn't among my favourite books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a very nice pair. One day I'll get around tip reading the book and I'll let you know what I think.

      Delete