Sunday, May 14, 2017

Sunday Stamps - commemoratives

I sent this paper bag to Eric. The John F Kennedy stamp issued this year commemorates the centenary of his birth. The West Virginia stamp issued in 2013 commemorates the 150th anniversary of that state's admission to the Union.



I recently used the West Virginia statehood stamp on an envelope to Susan.



And a stamp from 2016 commemorates the 50th anniversary of Star Trek's debut on television. This is one of a set of four stamps on an envelope to Carroll.




Here's a stamp on an envelope I received from Katerina in Greece. It is one of five that celebrates the 150th anniversary of the National Archaeological Museum of Athens, and features the god Poseidon.





Katerina also included this piece of mail art inside her envelope.


For links to more commemorative stamps, head over to Sunday Stamps.

10 comments:

  1. I love all these stamps. I'd like to receive the Greek one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are still exchanging mail art with Katerina, you may be lucky enough to receive one.

      Delete
    2. This would be a good time to send her something :)

      Delete
  2. I hadn't realised that it's a 100 years since JFK's birth. Poseidon is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He looks great on that stamp. The '150' and 'mouseio' are printed in gold foil, which doesn't translate well via the scanner.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful view on the West Virginia stamp and who can resist a space ship schematic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pleasantly surprised to find that schematic online.

      Delete
  4. I prefer your Star Trek anniversary stamps to ours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, too, however there was some complaining that the US versions were too generic, and should be more like the Canadian ones in some quarters. I guess you can't please everyone.

      Delete