Sunday, May 17, 2020

Gifts of Friendship

I sent a letter using these stamps from 2015. They were issued on the centenary of the gift of flowering dogwoods to Japan from the US in response to a gift of cherry trees.



On the left, cherry trees blossoming in front of the Lincoln Monument, and on the right, dogwood flowers with the US Capitol Building in the background.

This was a joint issue with Japan.

US sheet:



Japanese sheet:




For more flowers on stamps, explore the links at Sunday Stamps.



10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. The letter I sent a few weeks ago using these stamps was a different one to yours.

      Delete
  2. At the very first glance, these stamps remind me of Japan, even though there are US buildings on them... I wonder if actually represent an actual image and there are indeed these trees in front of / behind these buldings :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never knew this was a joint issue. I've always liked this view of the cherry blossoms framing the buildings

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the sheet, who does not love cherry blossom. I remember the memorable plant for a beautiful America one which I prefer but like the modern take on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cherry blossoms are stunning, and I have a soft spot for dogwoods as one grows in my yard.

      Delete
  5. I always associate cherry blossom with Japan so was surprised to see the USA as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a huge cherry tree blossom festival in Washington, DC every year (except 2020, of course).

      Delete